Sunday, February 19, 2006

Our Weekend

This weekend is coming to an end; it's hard to believe the days go so quickly. Things went really well for Gene Friday night, though he said there were really too many people. They had to cancel things for today, as it was rainy with a high of 40 (quite cold for Houston). People aren't really eager to stop and talk when they are freezing and getting wet ;).

Yesterday the girls and I went shopping and had a good time. We went to Hobby Lobby, as they had lots of the things we love on sale. We love the Hobby Lobby sales! We then went to another one of our favorite places: a used book sale. We bought several craft and cook books. I'm trying to get all of the girls to direct their time towards better pursuits. I like to buy Christmas craft/food books such as the Southern Living Christmas books. I will seldom use the ideas for Christmas, but I will take the ideas and adapt them for any occasion. We also purchased a few older novels. After that we went to a resale shop and did really good. Then we went to Walmart, ran home, ate, and headed back out to dancing. Once a month we meet with several other families and do International folk dancing. I didn't dance last night, but the girls had a blast. Gene and Sarah stayed home; Gene wrote and Sarah doesn't really dance, so she stayed home with him.

Today was another cold and cloudy day. I really can't complain because most of our "winter" has been beautiful and in the 60s and 70s. We went to church tonight and afterwards ate dinner, did a science experiment and played Taboo. Taboo is a lot of fun, especially when you have people of all ages playing. During our Bible study time we had some great discussion, which I really enjoy.

The other day, Hannah put out our bird feeders and put some seed on the ground for the birds. I believe the Northern migration must have begun, as we have had hundreds of birds in the yard today. We had a great time watching them out the windows.

Image hosting by Photobucket
The birds were sitting on the fence waiting to come and eat.

Image hosting by Photobucket
The birds taking flight after being frightened.

I've been working on organizing many aspects of my life in the last few weeks. We've changed what & how we're doing school. We switched the girls to Alpha Omega Lifepacs. They are able to be self-directed in their school and this will allow them to work ahead if they wish. I spent most of Friday night working on a planner/organizer for me and a book to keep up with all of the girls' reading. I am assigning them biographies and novels in addition to their school. We are also doing some organization of the house, little bits at a time. I've been working on a master to-do list that will have big and small projects I want to complete on it. I have many projects I would like to do around the house in the way of minimizing and decorating. Organizing what space we have is always a priority, as we have 7 people in our family and our house is only 1184 sq feet. I also have several rooms that I would like to paint and redecorate. I have been visiting Cat's blog and her Yahoo group, which have both been very encouraging to me and have given me lots of good ideas.

I have a couple of deeper, longer posts that I need to work on, but haven't had the time to do it. I hope to be completing my research and getting to them later in the week. I am going to try to at least post something small every other day to get back to where I want to be concerning my blogging.

No comments: