Saturday, October 22, 2005

The World Series

Sports are not something I spend a great deal of time on, because I don't have the time to give to them. But what kind of Houstonian would I be if I neglected to mention the Astros going to the World Series? This is something I can get up for. I probably won't spend a lot of time watching the game, as I have two live in monitors who will keep me abreast of what's going on, and when it's exciting, I can then watch. Even after saying this, I do enjoy the team spirit aspect of the game. On Thursday, the Mayor asked the people of Houston to go sockless for this weekend, which you can read about in this article. Lindsay and I were going shopping today, and I had my usual socks and tennis shoes on, ready to head out the door, when Lindsay reminded me that I wasn't supposed to wear socks. So I began taking off my shoes and socks one foot at a time. About then, Rachel, 11, walked up and asked me why I had one sock on and one sock off. I told her I was taking my socks off because the Mayor asked us not to wear them because the Astros were playing the White Sox. She looked at me and said, "No, really Mom, why are you taking them off." I tried to tell her I was serious, and all she could do was laugh and roll her eyes. When we went out, we saw tons of people wearing Astros hats and shirts and even painting their car windows (no, I won't go that far, at least not until later in the week). wink After the final playoff game the other night, I was outside sitting on my swing wondering why I was hearing so many fireworks and car horns, then it hit me; people were celebrating the win. It was strange to hear fireworks in the middle of October. Hopefully we'll be hearing them again later this week.

Go Astros!

No comments: