Friday, September 02, 2005

Katrina Update

Wednesday I decided to try to find some families from New Orleans to see if I could minister to them in some ways. I prayed about it and decided to go to some hotels here in Katy. I prayed about it all morning and didn't really expect to find many people as we are on the West side of Houston. I was surprised to find the hotel parking lots full of Louisiana cars. I spoke to the manager of the hotel, who wasn't very helpful, and found that I could talk to people in the room where they come down for the continental breakfast. I wasn't really sure what I could do, so I just started talking to people. Some of the people were from the West Bank (across the river from New Orleans) which didn't flood, but many were from the East Bank (inside the "bowl") Looking in their eyes reminded me of pictures you see of holocaust victims. The blankness and uncertainty in their eyes broke my heart. I can't imagine watching on my the news and seeing everything I know under feet of water. As I said in a previous post, New Orleans is a special place to our family, a place of many happy memories. It brings me to tears to see it in that condition, I can't imagine it being my home.

I met one older lady who lived one of the hardest hit areas, she was having a hard time comprehending how she could start over at her age. We talked about how we don't have to know how we will have the grace to face tomorrow, God only gives us grace for this day, and often only for the very minute we are in. It is so hard to be so limited in the amount of help you can give, but it's causing me to lean on God in this situation. Everytime I come to tears and me heart is hurting for these that are suffering so much, I send up many prayers.

God did bless me with some successes where I was able to offer tangible help, and I'm thankful for that. Today I saw two of the families I spoke to in Wal-mart. They smiled and waved and we talked like old friends. I hope that the connection of seeing a familiar face helped them, I know it helped me to see them again.

These are the family names of some of the people I met. Please pray for them as you think of it.

The Marquez family: They have not heard from a brother and are two families together and a grandmother, there home is in one of the hardest hit areas

The King family: their 7yo son has had to go to the hospital twice, being very sick, may need surgery

The Guzzardi family: daughter saw dr. here, has been having chronic ear infections, the are from LaPlace, north of New Orleans, so their home should be ok

The Juno family: will be needing shelter after tomorrow

The Corkern family: wife and 83 yo mother traveled here to avoid the storm. Had to leave husband in a city a couple of hours from New Orleans because he had back surgery a few weeks ago. She will go to pick him up tomorrow and then drive back to Houston.

The Kozel family: They are a family with about 8-10 people here. They are from the West Bank and are hoping to go home soon.

The Darwin Family: Their home is under water and both of their jobs are within the city. So, they have lost jobs and home. They are unsure what they will do in the future, they may relocate to a different state to be near family.

The Lee Family: They live and the husband works within the city. They also homeschool and will be replacing all of their books.

These 8 families are only a drop in the bucket, but it will give you a small idea of what many families are facing.

No comments: