Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Ginger Snap Sweet Potatoes

Let me begin this by re-stating that I do not cook in a normal way. I hardly ever use recipes. I think one of my New Year's resolutions should be to write everything down when I create a recipe(which I do quite a lot). I usually cook by smell & taste. I made my sweet potatoes with canned potatoes that I mashed, but you could use fresh and just bake or boil them first.

To the mashed sweet potatoes I added, cinnamon, ginger, & cloves. The ratio is about two to one, for instance if you add a teaspoon of cinnamon, add 1/2 a tsp each of ginger & cloves. To the potatoes and spices I added melted butter, about 1/2 a stick. Though you may need more if they are fresh. I then got a whole bunch(don't ya love the exact measurement) of ginger snaps and put them in the food processor until finely ground. I put about half of the sweet potato mixture in the casserole dish with 1/2 the ginger snaps sprinkled on top. After that put in the rest of the sweet potatoes. Melt a stick of butter and mix it with the remaining ginger snaps. Put this on top of the sweet potatoes and bake uncovered at 350 until the top becomes crunchy.

The next time I make these, I will write down what I do. Sorry I can't give you more exact details than this.

Editor's note: I forgot to add that when I am mixing in the spices, I add about 1/2 cup of brown sugar.

No comments: