Friday, December 08, 2006

Too Much Food Network

Our girls love cooking, and Food Network. They have learned a great deal about the science behind cooking from Alton Brown, how to cook quick simple meals from Rachel Ray, how to make great comfort food from Paula Deen, and what real Italian food is from Mario Batali, Giada De Laurentiis, and Michael Chiarello. It is not uncommon to hear "Alton said,...." or "That's not the way Paula does it." With many girls, I think it's great that they are learning from great chefs & cooks how prepare great food. I tell you all of this as a preface to a conversation I overheard last night.

Caroline to Hannah: "Have you ever had brie before?"

Hannah: "No."

Caroline: "I had a sample at Kroger one day. I liked it but, not the rind. Right after that I ate a sample of watermelon to get the taste out of my mouth."

Hannah: "Oh, you used it as a palate cleanser."

I didn't hear the rest of the conversation, because I went to tell Gene what I had just heard. A couple of thoughts hit me. First, how many 10 year olds even know what brie is...I know I didn't. Second, how many girls their age know what a palate cleanser is enough to discuss it. This is just a sample of the types of food conversations they have around our home.

No comments: