Monday, May 22, 2006

Grillin'

Last Thursday I used a rain check I had at Fiesta grocery store for brisket at .69 lb and chicken leg quarters at .15 lb. I could only buy one bag of leg quarters, but was able to get 2 whole briskets at that price. I was trying to decide what to do with the brisket and decided to smoke it.

I have this strange relationship with my grill, and I feel that I have to use every coal to it's fullest potential. Therefore I decided to grill several things, beginning with items that could be cooked faster when the coals were at their hottest. Here is a list of all that I cooked:
24 hot dogs
24 hamburgers
10 lbs of leg quarters
2 whole briskets

On the leg quarters we rubbed a bar-b-que rub, and on the brisket we put a Canadian Steak rub. I didn't cook the leg quarters or the brisket completely on the grill; I cooked them about halfway, then finished them in the oven. They still have a really great mesquite flavor, but didn't dry out from too much time on the grill. I put them in a pan with about 1/2" of water in it when finishing them in the oven.

You may wonder what could I possibly do with all of this meat. Well, the hot dogs and hamburgers I divided between the refridgerator and freezer. I kept enough out for the weekend and then put the rest in the freezer. The chicken will go into the freezer for a meal another night and the brisket will be frozen for meals bar-b-que sandwiches (which we all love!).

Today I am making bar-b-que for sandwiches with some of the brisket. I will post the recipe and pics later today, if I get the time. If you don't read my other blog, Texas Wildflowers , check it out for the story of what happened last night which will explain why I may be too tied up to post again today.

No comments: