Monday, November 28, 2005

Do unto others

In our family we have what is referred to as our #1 rule. It it the golden rule, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." When I am talking to the girls about a behavior issue, it is amazing that nearly every time we come back to this rule. Whether it is talking ugly, being selfish, hitting (yes, my girls do occasionally hit each other), or disobedience to me, it all comes back to this rule. My desire is that my girls will grow up to consider their actions and words in relation to others. When the scriptures talking about denying ourselves, that is in part what it is referring to. There are many times that we could justify our actions, calling it righteous indignation or some other euphamism, when in reality it is just sin. At this time of year people tend to be more easily offended because of their busyness. When you are at a register and things are taking longer than you would like, or the cashier makes a mistake, stop and think about this rule. How would you like someone to respond to you?

I remember reading an Isabella Alden book that begins with a brother challenging his unsaved sister to apply the golden rule to her life. It was a very difficult thing for the sister causing her to want to give up many times. It is also difficult for those of us who are believers. I pray that you will examine your life as I am mine, to see if there are areas in which you should be applying this rule to your life more often.

No comments: