Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Ponderings

I have had several things I have been pondering lately. I am still trying to work them out and find scriptural proofs for some of them. I will list some of them here, and would appreciate it if you would post any comments you may have on any of the topics.

--pastors--- the need or not for them in a small homechurch. What was their exact role in the first century church

--authority in the church--- who has it, and how much. Do people today too willingly follow a man and give him authority over them as opposed to the true and only priest of the church--- Christ

--false teachers--- at what point is someone classified a false teacher? Knowing we are all imperfect, but isn't ther some line they can cross? What is it? Scripture is clear that we are to avoid these.

--Lord's supper--- how are we to observe this in light of the New Testament?

This list is in no way complete! But it will suffice for now. Please share your thoughts or scriptures.

Some of these issues seem to have contradictory answers in the scriptures. We know that God is not a God of contradictions, but of order. He never changes; He's the same today as yesterday. So, how do we settle the seeming contradictions? There is a quote by Spurgeon that helps me greatly. I guess if he couldn't reconcile all of scripture, I shouldn't feel so bad.

Spurgeon said:

That God predestines, and that man is responsible, are two things that few can see. They are believed to be inconsistent and contradictory; but they are not. It is just the fault of our weak judgment. Two truths cannot be contradictory to each other. If, then, I find taught in one place that everything is fore-ordained, that is true; and if I find in another place that man is responsible for all his actions, that is true; and it is my folly that leads me to imagine that two truths can ever contradict each other. These two truths, I do not believe, can ever be welded into one upon any human anvil, but one they shall be in eternity: they are two lines that are so nearly parallel, that the mind that shall pursue them farthest, will never discover that they converge; but they do converge, and they will meet somewhere in eternity, close to the throne of God, whence all truth doth spring. (New Park Street Pulpit, 4:337)

No comments: