Tuesday, September 19, 2006

My Day

Today was a busy day, as they all have been lately. The house seems to be in shambles, but in reality it's the disaster before things get better type of shambles. If you've ever done any major re-organizing, you'll understand what I mean. I wanted to share our menu from tonight.

Meatloaf
Cheese Mashed Potatoes
Honey Glazed Carrots
Black-eyed Peas with Bacon

I can't give you an exact recipe of how to make any of the above items because I don't really use recipes, though I need to write down how I do things so the girls can replicate what I do. The meatloaf is something everyone loves. My favorite way to eat it is on white bread with mayonnaise (I know, not one ounce of healthful food there!). Here's how I make it with a rough, very rough estimate of the ingredients.

Meatloaf
2 lbs ground turkey
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 small onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup ketchup
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
a couple of dashes of Tony Cachere's Cajun seasoning

Mix this all together and top with about 1 cup of Ketchup with 2 T Worcestershire sauce blended in. If I'm pressed for time I often bake this in muffin tins at 425 for about 30 minutes.

Honey Glazed Carrots
3 cans of sliced carrots (we prefer fresh, but I only had canned on hand)
1 stick of margarine
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup sugar

Drain carrots and place in sauce pan. Add in margarine, sugar and honey. Stirring gently and only occasionally, until sugar, honey and margarine are melted and carrots are heated through.

No comments: